From their factory in Essex, specialist manufacturers of EMI /RF screening and shielding products, P&P Technology, manufacture a comprehensive range of shielded windows, vents & gaskets that are completely customised to meet their customers’ needs.
Formed in 1989 by a small group of engineers, each with many years’ experience in the design and production of EMC shielding components, P & P Technology have grown to become one of Europe’s leading manufacturers of radio frequency and electromagnetic compatibility (RF & EMC) shielding products, and have developed a diverse portfolio of products & clients.
P & P Technology provide a fast efficient response to their customers’ shielding problems and offer a full service ranging from consultancy through to prototype and full production to ensure compliance with the EC Directive on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) 2004/108/EC.
The technical team at P & P Technology are happy to provide advice to electronics manufacturers on the design, type and application of shielded materials and will happily visit to discuss the shielding requirements of specific projects and provide samples.
But its’ not just P & P Technology’s technical staff who are highly skilled in EMC matters, the factory production team also have many skills and much experience adding to the consistent quality of P & P Technology’s emc products.
The advice from P & P Technology’s technical team is when designing any kind of electronics enclosure, the earlier you focus on the EMC shielding requirements; the easier it is to find a more simple and cost effective solution.
“More often than not, we get called in when devices fail EMC testing and it makes solutions more complex than they need to be. Complex solutions always cost our customers more than simple ones so it’s easier and cheaper for everyone if we can get involved in projects from design stage.”
The P & P Technology range of gaskets also includes standard connector gaskets manufactured to MIL-C-81511, MIL-C-5015, MIL-C-3899 & MIL-C-26842 as well as industry standard configurations including BN, BNC, D, WG, WR, IEC, UG & AN as well as special configurations cut to customers specifications.
The EMC gasket range from P&P Technology can be manufactured from many materials -
· Knitted wire mesh gaskets made from Monel, aluminium, TCS (tinned copper steel) and stainless steel
· Elastomer cored knitted wire mesh gaskets consisting of (typically) two layers of wire mesh over an elastomer core made from monel, aluminium, TCS (tinned copper steel) and stainless steel
· Knitted wire mesh (plain or cored) made from monel, aluminium, TCS (tinned copper steel) and stainless steel with a non-conductive environmental seal supplied either as cut lengths or finished gaskets – known as twinstrip
· Knitted wire mesh (plain or cored) made from monel, aluminium, TCS (tinned copper steel) and stainless steel fitted with a slotted aluminium extrusion carrier with or without an environmental seal
· Knitted mesh bandage, a tubular form supplied in flat tape form made from Monel, aluminium, TCS (tinned copper steel) and stainless steel
· Compressed knitted wire mesh washers made from Monel, aluminium, TCS (tinned copper steel) and stainless steel
· Conductive woven fabric wrapped around a sponge or foam core supplied either in strips or as fabricated gaskets and usually supplied with a self-adhesive backing for quick and easy installation
· Highly conductive metallised fabrics consisting of a nylon fabric base coated with nickel/copper ideal for die-cut gaskets or wrapping around core material and available with (or without) various adhesive options – a wide range of fabrics is available
· Conductive polyurethane sponge with conductive fabric bonded to each face, again supplied with or with adhesive
· Oriented aluminium or Monel wires in solid silicone supplied as either strips, fabricated gaskets or die cut gaskets and available with an optional self-adhesive backing
· Oriented aluminium or monel wires in flame retardant solid silicone supplied as either strips, fabricated gaskets or die cut gaskets and available with an optional self-adhesive backing
· Oriented aluminium or monel wires in sponge silicone supplied as either strips, fabricated gaskets or die cut gaskets and available with an optional self-adhesive backing
· Oriented aluminium or monel wires in flame retardant sponge silicone supplied as either strips, fabricated gaskets or die cut gaskets and available with an optional self-adhesive backing
· Oriented aluminium or Monel wires in fluorosilicone supplied as either strips, fabricated gaskets or die cut gaskets and available with an optional self-adhesive backing
· Oriented wires in silicone combined with wire-free strips of plain silicone or fluorosilicone
· Woven aluminium mesh filled with silicone, fluorosilicone or neoprene rubber
· Expanded Monel foil filled with silicone rubber
· Silicone or fluorosilicone with metal powder fillers (nickel graphite, silver glass, silver nickel, silver aluminium, silver copper, pure silver or carbon) in either extruded or flat sheet form
P & P Technology also manufacture non-conductive gaskets for use where an environmental seal is needed -
· Non-conductive materials such as silicone, neoprene and EPDM available in flame retardant variants
· Carbon loaded silicone for ESD applications
In addition to their gasket range, P & P Technology also manufacture a range of EMC shielded windows comprising of fully laminated, edge bonded and cast plastic windows. Made from glass, polycarbonate plastic or acrylic plastic with (typically) either a woven copper or stainless steel mesh gauze, windows can be treated to improve both anti-reflective qualities and scratch resistance.
The copper gauze and stainless steel gauze are also available, either plain or blackened, by the linear metre so that customers can make their own screens. These woven metal gauzes can also be supplied cut to size, but it isn’t recommended because of fraying and handling issues.
Getting the right window for your application can be tricky and is one of the areas where the experience and expertise of the team at P & P Technology can really help. Another potentially tricky area is EMC shielded vents (attenuation vents), and again the team at P & P Technology have years of manufacturing and application experience that their customers can call on.
P & P Technology’s range of attenuation vents is available with optional dust filters and gaskets and can be fitted onto most types of shielded enclosure where airflow is required by convection or by cooling fan. Made from steel, brass, stainless steel or more typically aluminium honeycomb material, they are available in 5 standard frame styles, although P & P Technology are happy to look at other frame styles should the customer require them.
Dust filters for attenuation vents are made using either woven aluminium screen or demembraned polyurethane and can be bought as separate units, be incorporated into the vent as a single unit or be demountable for ease of cleaning. The thickness of the woven material means they are not suitable for convection cooling and need to be used in conjunction with a driven airflow. The woven aluminium screen dust filters manufactured as stand-alone units come with protective kick plates.
P & P Technology round off their comprehensive range of emc shielding materials with a range of contact finger strips available in a vast array of profiles, materials & plating options, conductive copper or aluminium tapes and conductive adhesives. All this, coupled with friendly, knowledgeable and approachable staff ensures that if you need an emc solution, then P & P Technology are undoubtedly the people to call.
Please visit the P & P Technology website where you will find full details about the product range we offer along with a useful FAQ section and downloadable catalogue and data sheets.
If there is anything we can do to help, please feel free to conact us via e-mail, telephone or fax - we look forward to your call.